Monday, March 31, 2014

Public Transport: Part III: The Ugly

Dear Readers,

I feel like I always have a public transportation related story to tell you. From this you might think that I use it all the time, I really don't. I just happen to get on the train at the same time as all of the best people. Honestly, for now this is the only one I have kept back from you. I may have to hop on a bus, though, just to keep up the stories coming. 

I won't.

But I could.

So, here is a story from...Oh gosh about a month and a half ago.

I was coming back from an interview, and rather than walk back to my dorm I decided to treat myself with a ride on the train. And by treat myself, I mean spend $2.50 so that I didn't have to walk. Because I make healthy choices. Every. Day. Alright, also, I was in heels and I'm a wuss when it comes to walking in heels. I have a really hard time with it. Even though they're little baby heels.

In reality, they're about like this. Aw, how cute. Ain't nothin'.


via http://www.amazon.com/Black-Satin-Rhinestone-Pumps-Womens/dp/B00CI9A5KQ

In my head, though, they feel like is. 

via http://wheretoget.it/link/391649

This isn't the story about my inability to walk in tall shoes. I'll write something else about that some other time. For now we're talking about what happened on the train. 

So, there I am, waiting for it to show up. Me and one other person, doing our best to pretend the other doesn't exist, lest we accidentally start a conversation. While I'm waiting, I am also talking to my mom about how awesomely this interview went. Right on, I'm getting this job! 

(Spoilers: I did.)

Finally, the train pulls up, I decide that because I'm not going far it won't be too rude of me to continue to talk on the phone. Besides, we're talking about unions, not something weird that people shouldn't be discussing in public.

As I pass through the doors I can already tell this is going to be a fun trip. There are two men, leaning against the wall on either side of the door, blasting aggressive rap through a speaker. Now, I'm not familiar with a lot of rap, so I don't really know the classification. But it was the sort of rap that was all "fuck my bitches" every few words. So, for the sake of this, we're calling it aggressive rap.

Now, I don't mean to offend those of you who listen to rap music. Whatever, that's your choice. I'm sure some of you would scoff at my musical choices. Everyone likes different things, and that's awesome. People should like different things. But, you shouldn't like your different things out loud in public. You don't hear me blasting Wrock music, and I don't want to hear your aggressive rap. 

Apparently, other people didn't either. A father and his young child got onto the train as well. A woman who was far past fed up with this music yelled, "Alright! That's enough of your music! There's a child here now!"

♫ Fuck this, and my bitches aint shit *


"Haha, sorry, can't hear you over my music!"

Oh my God, I didn't know that my dad actually spent his time as a disrespectful train rider. (JUST KIDDING DAD, I LOVE YOU!)

My mom is still going on about unions, and I'm trying very hard to pay attention to her, but the yelling just gets louder and more aggressive, as this man and his friend refuse to turn down their offensive music.

I think it's important to note that I was standing just across the train from these men, against the other door. At this particular moment it felt like the train was much smaller than it is. People were getting really angry about this situation (these kids and their damn rap music!)

At one point some unkind racial slurs are thrown out, and this is when the music man goes from just general ass to full blown pissed. 

"Come say that to my face!" and "We'll go right now!"

And all I can think is, "Oh crap, no, don't go right now. We're on the train!"

One passenger (maybe the one who thought it would solve the problem by throwing race into the situation) decides that he will alert the conductor. 

"Yeah?! What's he gonna do?"

I'm dead. In this moment, talking to my mom about unions, I'm sure I'm about to be in the middle of some brawl with weird rap as the background music. 

The train lurched to a stop right at that moment and I spilled out of the doors, resisting the urge to actually run.  

I wish I had a better end to this story. "And then the police rushed in and all was well." Or "The two men then sat down a talked rationally about why they were so angry in that situation, and though they are not friends they went on their way having gained a new perspective."

The reality is I have no idea. Confrontation scares me. 

And, I still don't know much about unions.

* Yeah, obviously I'm not a rapper...

No comments:

Post a Comment