Monday, February 10, 2014

You've Gotta Give it a Go

Dear Readers,

As I touched on in my previous post I am working on becoming a healthier life style. For me this includes, cutting out all of the fast food I've gotten so fond of,

via Myself


All soda


via Myself


And most of the sweet treats we all love


via Myself


I won't lie. This is not easy, I've gotten so used to having a certain amount of junk a day. I'm happy to say, though, that I'm already getting to the point where it's easier to say, "Man, I really want pizza. Or, I could go have some grilled chicken and treat myself with a small piece of dark chocolate." I end up getting a bonus piece of chocolate out of the deal along with less regret.

Lifestyle change also means that I'm drinking about five hundred thousand gallons of water a day (not literally, that would kill you. Seriously, don't try to drink five hundred thousands gallons of water. Ever.). In all honesty, though, by the end of the day I usually end up feeling like a water balloon. Or how I imagine Violet Beauregarde felt.


The way I physically feel, though, is out of control. It was normal for me to get an upset stomach at least once a day due to something I'd eaten (I don't handle grease or dairy well...) but I just wouldn't stop eating that way. 

To help with my healthier lifestyle I've turned to Pinterest (as well as a couple other forum based sites) for my motivation and meal ideas.

Some of these foods sound amazing (who am I kidding, most of them do). My only issue is that a lot of these healthier options I'm unfamiliar with. Like, eggplant.

I know that more than once in my young life my mom had to have made eggplant for us. But when faced with a recipe for eggplant parm I had no idea what that would even taste like. So I decided, Hey, why the heck not? I'm adventurous. I'll give it a go.

So I walked myself down to the store and picked up the things I needed. Now, I've gotten fairly good at picking up produce on my own. Oftentimes I have to use Google to know when something is ripe. But I get by. I didn't google eggplant ripeness criteria.

How the heck do I know if an eggplant is ripe? They all feel the same. Are all of them ripe, or are none of them ripe?

Thanks to this lovely article I now know what to look for. At the time, though, this was completely unknown to me. So I just picked any ol' eggplant.

So, I went back home and cooked up some lovely eggplant parm.


Via Myself

Presentation aside, I think I made a pretty alright looking eggplant parm. So, I ate it, thinking I knew what to expect from the taste and texture of the vegetable.

Readers, I hate eggplant.

I'm not sad about spending the money on that disgusting vegetable, though. Because I did something I don't normally. I stepped outside of my comfort zone for the purpose of doing something good for myself.

Will I try any more eggplant dishes in the future? Probably not.

Will I continue to try the strange recipes I find on Pinterest? Absolutly.

No comments:

Post a Comment