Monday, February 24, 2014

Public Transport: Revisited

Dear Readers,

I know I've talked about using public transport before, and it almost feels like cheating to use it as a post topic again, but there is just so much interesting material!

Portland has an amazing transport system. Now, some of you may have a different opinion having traveled to places that have more amazing transport systems and are thinking, "Pfffft, she has no idea what she's talking about. I'm not reading any more of her lies." This wounds me, down to my core. I would never, never, knowingly lie to you, Readers (unless it was for the sake of a re-he-he-he-ally good story...). So, let me qualify this. As someone who comes from a town with two public buses, Portland's transport system is amazing.

Strange people exist. They are everywhere. At some point in your life you are the strange one. According to my youngest sister I'm frequently the strange one.

This is the story of one of my more recent experiences on public transport:

Now, before you can get on a street car or train or bus you have to wait for it to arrive (this should be obvious, but I do hate to assume) and this is where the most prime experiences come from, at least in my history.

Most of the time on a train or bus or street car people are pretty good at keeping themselves to themselves, it's when they're out in public waiting for the transport to arrive is when they're really very strange. I generally combat this this by listening to music. You don't really have to pay much attention to people when you got headphones on or in the case may be. Every once in a while, as music does, there's a lull or break in the song.

I was listening to music while waiting for the street car, this kept me from noticing the man that approached the shelter. Even though I wasn't paying attention to him it was obvious from my perhipals that the man was having a lengthy conversation with himself. That's all well and good people can have as many conversations with themselves they want, I don't really mind. I also talk to myself, not generally in public (I mean that's a little strange) but who doesn't talk to themselves?

Anyhow this man was clearly talking to himself out loud, in this day and age it's amazingly easy to use mistake talking out loud to yourself for talking out loud on your Bluetooth.

Somehow, by sitting quietly and not bothering him, I had done something to seriously offend this poor man. How do I know this, you may be asking. I know this because as soon as my music was quiet enough I heard, "Oh my God! That is disgusting! Somebody cover her up, she is so fat! How can she be in public like that?"

Generally I would have continued to ignore this, however it was such a rude comment that my curiosity was in overdrive. So doing what any normal person would do, I look around. This was my mistake. 

I was the only other person at the shelter.

via Myself
For reference: This is how I was dressed on the day in question.


At this point some of you are probably pretty offended. And I can't really say that I blame you, but maybe you'll be less offended when you hear that I wasn't. I've always had a pretty good sense of humor about my weight,  it's not like I'm in denial. I'm well aware what I look like. Perhaps if this comment has come a week or so sooner, before I was serious about getting healthy again, I may have been more upset. As it stands I really had to try my hardest not to laugh and pretend that I was only listening to music.

I suppose the point of this is to try and impart some sort of knowledge upon you:

If you're on a journey never let someone bring you down. Your journey is your own and you are the only person you need to answer to, not the strangers at the streetcar shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment