Friday, January 18, 2013

Do All People Have Necks?



Dear Readers,

The day was still young, not even yet ten in the morning. I had already left my room, ready to greet the day with my normal level of enthusiasm. I knew it was cold out, it had been for a while, but my destination was only a block from my starting point, there was no need to bundle up too much. So there I was, waiting to descend the eleven floors to the lobby of my building.


All was quiet for the first couple of floors, the elevator softly singing out as we passed each new door. Just about half way down we slowed to a stop. Of course, I have no issues sharing the elevator with people! That is what it is made for. What happened next though was far more funny to my still half asleep brain than it probably should have been. A young woman with her face hidden in her phone screen entered the little box. That alone was not the funny part.

The funny part was that she seemed to have tied her scarf in a neck brace fashion. She could not tilt her head, nor move it side to side to look around. Whenever she wanted to look at something beyond the range of her natural vision, she had to move her whole torso. Admittedly, she reminded me instantly of this (warning: there is sound attached). I had to pretend I was very busy on my own phone, too busy, in fact, to look at her any longer. 

In her defense, I am sure she was much warmer than I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment